What’s Your Family Wellness Plan?
Posted October 18, 2010on:
We talk about being well all the time. We want our children to grow up with healthy habits. We want to be the model of health for them.
Do you have a family wellness plan? If not, try this one!
Family Wellness Plan
- Make and keep appointments for medical and dental checkups and treatments. This goes for you and everyone else in your family. Immunize your children!
- Insist on clean hands and faces. Wash hands with liquid soap and warm, running water. Have a “one use rule” for wash cloths – this is especially important for older children who have sensitive skin and are worried about breakouts.
- Dress according to the weather and your daily activities. Cover feet in cold weather. Keep “simple” jackets and sweaters in easy reach. Wear hats and hoods. Use an umbrella.
- Brush teeth –in the morning and before bed. Follow any dental instructions.
- Wipe noses often and throw out the tissue. Teach children to blow their nose. Make sure hands are washed after each tissue use!
- Eat healthy foods in a balanced diet. Eat together at home more than eating out.
- Get plenty of sleep & rest.
- Be active indoors and out. Play, talk with and actively listen to each other.
- Model reading as a priority. Read to your children every day. Have older children read to you every day. Keep “screen” time to a minimum.
- Have a Welcome! mat at your front door.
This is not a fancy wellness plan.
One number is not more important than the other but I hope you will post it on your fridge and be well each day!
-Kate Dust, EduKids Education Director