Kate’s Corner: Wiping out the Weepies
Posted November 2, 2009on:
Now that the excitement of the new school year has abated and your children are realizing that the school routine is their new reality, you may find yourself dealing with attacks of the morning weepies, either before you leave the house or when you attempt to leave the EduKids Early Childhood Education Center. Fear not, this is entirely normal! Here are a few tips to help when the weepies start to win.
- Remind your child in advance when it is her day(s) for school.
- Circle the days on the calendar and perhaps mark them with a fun sticker, or use a sticker board and have her put on or remove a sticker on her school day.
- Lay out her clothes on a dresser or in a special place.
- Pack a backpack to bring back and forth and let your child help pack it for their school day.
- Be firm and positive. It never helps a tentative child if you’re apprehensive, too. Always talk in a positive tone about their school day and make it as matter of fact as possible. If you waver or are indecisive about sending them, they will pick up on it immediately and think that there is, in fact, something to worry about.
- Routine is key. If possible, one person should drop off and pick up the child at the same time with the same procedure each time the child attends.
- Remember that even if your children are crying and seemingly unhappy when you bring them in, they really do have a great day. The teacher and other team members take excellent care of each child. Fun, positive activities are part of our daily routine at EduKids.
- We understand that it is much harder on you to leave an upset child than it is on them. Please call and we will let you know how they are doing. And remember, we love them too!
Separation anxiety is entirely normal. Your child loves you and trusts you, they want to be with you, and many times they think they are missing out on something at home or wherever you are going. But, you will see, the more confidence you have in your child’s success, the more confidence they have in themselves. Soon, the weepies will be a thing of the past!
Make Learning Fun!
-Kate Dust, EduKids Education Director